Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Paper Cut outs: Rob Ryan + Starbucks campaign










I think the lacey paper cut illustrations of UK based illustrator Rob Ryan are wonderous. (Clearly others do as well as he has recently collaborated with designer Paul Smith and the Rug company amongst many others!) Above are a few of his images including some shots from his new book This is for you. I find both his words and images incredibly charming.
When Starbucks' beautiful Christmas campaign was unveiled a few weeks ago -with the red cut out letters and wonderful type - I couldn't help wondering if the art director was very influenced by Rob Ryan's work.
Does any reader out there know who worked on the Starbucks campaign?
If so please let me know. I'm very curious.
Thanks!

4 comments:

Meghan B said...

I am VERY curious as well!! It is identical!! I haven't been able to have anyone clear this up for me, but it is sort of a rip off, no?

Alanna Cavanagh said...

Hi Meghan
Alas yes it certainly is "highly influenced by Rob Ryan!! I adore the campaign - is really beautiful- but find it kinda distressing how quickly trends get eaten these days.

Sophie Biddulph said...

I live near Rob Ryan's shop in London. I go in every Sunday. He has recently published a new book on the work he did for Yorkshire Sculpture Park in England. You should have a look. It's inspired!

Patricia said...

The paper cutting is so very nice!
I love the one "We Have Everything"
Wow~